29.7.08

When my fantasies cross

... they make predictable some-kinky-thing.


Lots of you know that I fancy gay (M/M) romances. Most of you are virgin with my initial fantasy...

Since I was very young, I always consider the love of an elder brother toward his younger siblings one of the most powerful feelings. It's not really love. But that kind of unconditioned-protective-love is love as well. They are bonded together by blood and the connection is kind of unbreakable. Some science researches do also figure out that people have the tendency loving people who look alike them (or their parents, what's the difference?). You can easily see that from real life. Most of happy couples seem a lot alike each other. Do not mention moral problem, in my opinion, the biggest problem with incest is high risk of genetic defects. Being a person who had long time related to biology, I have to let my fantasy fade out. However, in case it's just feelings, there's nothing wrong, rite? (Huni, now you can figure out why I love Peter from Chronicles of Narnia so much, can't you?)

Ok, so... what will happen when my fantasies cross?

One day, I accidentally dug out the answer from internet. (Yeap, I always have this question running back and forth my mind, where were I before the first connection to net?) They simply make the Starcrossed.


It's a short movie with only 15' runtime. The story line is somehow simple - about a star-crossed love. But (we have a "but") it's not a cliché love like Romeo-Juliet. It's the love between brothers. Yes! We have both incest and gay romance on one 15' movie. Addition to the creative script, the whole movie was really-well-made with beautiful camera angles (I love beautiful camera angles in common), suitable casting, good actors. However, based on the short runtime and low budget, the movie still left me some blanks that I believe the director (also being the scriptwriter) can work out.

1. Connor definitely considered Darren his protector, his hero, someone he wanted to be. When did that idolized love change into love? Was it real love at first or it was just a crush?

2. Darren definitely loved his little brother. The unconditioned-protective love was undeniable. Yet when Connor confessed his love, did Darren take it as a responsible? I mean... did Darren take it as his responsible for his brother that he could never deny him anything as he always did? Did Darren fall for his younger brother as much as his Connor loved him since the beginning of their romance?

3. Since they got together, Connor was totally happy all the time. Contrary to that, Darren was always aware of the truth that they were brothers and in a taboo relationship. Then, when Darren asked Connor about their future, Connor confirmed that he would never let them apart. I believe this point is the alarm ring that the director used warning later events. However, I want him to dig it deeper this point. Did that statement prove the deeply love or possessive love or obsessive love of Connor? Another note, I love the entwined hands scene a lot. It strongly emphasized the protective love of Darren toward Connor in my opinion.

4. The last scenes let me know that they were totally in love at that moment. Or I can say that it made me believe that Darren was totally in deep love with Connor and I have not any wonder about that love anymore. However, I still have another question for the love. As I gave my point on the number 2 case, I wanna know that when did Darren aware of his love? Was he was conscious of his true feelings before that event or did he finally recognize that at their last moment and it made him act the last kiss?

The story line is simple but they all made a wonderful movie. It based on many other details for example the director treatment in making the tension stronger and stronger, the smoothly acting of the whole actors team, etc. It is said that the director is on his way fund-raising for the feature film from this short film. I hope that he can make it work and film lovers will have a chance completely enjoying it.

Last but not least, click this link of PlanetOut enjoy the movie. The quality is not very good based on the small resolution, but it's better not good than nothing. Have fun!

Later!



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin