19.12.15

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - More misses than hits

I'm a Stars girl, both Star Wars and Star Trek. I know it is said that people are either Star Wars or Star Trek fan. But who cares! I like both.

Star Trek was a hits with the remake. I'm not so sure about the new generation of this new Star Wars, though. They have the same director so I feel like I'm allowed to compare, which I've never done with the previous generations of Stars.

Let's talk about Star Wars: The Force Awakens, though. After all, this post is dedicated to the new movie.

Hits:
- BB-8: I adore the droid. It's so freaking cute. The movie is released by Walt Disney so it's not a surprise, I guess. We've been in love with R2-D2 and C-3PO for so many years but they are funny but not that cute. BB-8 is just so in a different league on it own compared to any other droids on screens. I'd love a BB-8 of my own. (Checked already. There are some versions of the toy on the market but none of them can "speak", the best one so far "speaks" via app. And of course, none of them is in any closer league of THE BB-8).
- The young actors/actresses: I have to give it to them, this generation of Star Wars are much better actors/actresses, compared to the I-III. You don't have the brooding teenager with only one expression or a couple without much chemistry.

Misses:
- The bad guy: For me this is THE miss of the movie. He doesn't have the badass vibe as the Darth Vader. He doesn't have the mysterious atmosphere about him of the Sith Lord. He's just a kid in the black cape, acting like the bad guy, more like a kid trying to act like an adult. (He actually reminds me of young little girl wearing moms' high heels). And he's more good looking with the mask than without it (sad face).
- The good guy: Is more like a coming of age teenager, running around, breathing hard and creating a bond with some other good guys. And he's just ugly. God! Give me some Will Smith!
- The movie: Star Wars are not only about action. It's a journey of coming of age, of being awareness of the force and being part of the force. Star Wars has more "zen" like atmosphere than Star Trek for a reason. But with the same director, the 2 universes are closer than ever. You have a more action-compact movie, some more jokes and funny scenes in Star Wars. But the jokes somehow felt flat.
- OMG! Han Solo. Harrison Ford still has the magic touch. The whole movie was lift by him single-handed. And then his last scene... It's just awful! I don't think any magic can bring Han Solo back.

To sum it up, will I watch the next Star Wars episode? I will. The Force Awakens is not a good one but it's a new chapter, I will follow the force. But if it's a standalone movie, you know the movie is a fail when the most memorable character is a droid.

I want a BB-8. Do I need to repeat more?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin