24.11.13

Fake wedding band - the most stupid tip for women travelling alone

Travelling alone as a young woman, I have to say this is the most stupid tip I've ever heard of. Maybe... in the early day of tourism industry, when women started travelling on their own, the tip hold an impact or another. But nowadays... it's still one of the tips I've seem the most across travel forums and articles.

First, a wedding band is a very "western" cultural symbol. So if you travel to a country where guys "kidnap" girls on the street, the so-called symbol clearly has no impact. You're alone, they are allowed to "kidnap" you for a wife. That's their culture and of course, in places like that they don't know what a wedding band is. However, if you're the adventure type, who wants to travel to exotic places like that, you're certainly wise enough to never travelling on your own. (or you're not?)

On the other hand, if you travel to countries with more or less effect from the western culture, the wedding band is another story. You don't want guys to "pick" you, just don't make them pay you attention, don't be a flirt and then show them the fake wedding band. If you flirt with a guy, you certainly send them the green light. So why wedding band? You say it's to make guys skip you? No. You're a girl, you travel alone, no matter what, people will pay attention to you, will notice you. If they are bad people, what's the impact of a wedding band to guard you from them? NONE!

I've been travelling alone since I'm old enough. I don't have a fake wedding band. I don't flirt with guys (more precise, I don't talk with guys if it's not in a public place). I don't go to places on my own that I know not being safe for women. I don't walk alone on dark streets, I don't go to high risk places. Why taking the risk? It's just not worth it. You can travel on your own, you can enjoy life, just don't invite the trouble.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin