2.10.13

Italy 20130915 - 20131001


Back from the trip of my life - Italy. It was a grand tour across different cities: Milan, Verona, Venice, Florence, Rome. I also dropped by Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano (Tuscany area), Napoli (Naples), Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri. And took a Bernina trail tour to Swiss Alps area. And a cooking class in Mazzano, a suburb area about 45 km from Rome city centre.


Some highlights & lessons learned:

- Cafe means espresso. Cappucco is the shorter version of cappuccino. No americano coffee for me, too weak... ewh.

- Don't know why many people complain about the price/restaurant scam issue in Italy. I had no problem with them at all. In restaurants, there are menus with price list so everything is clear and loud, even the service charge. In smaller hostarias, sometimes they don't have menu or just menu of the day writing on a notepad, but the prices are very much reasonable. I had so much good food, good wine. House wine in restaurant times and again costed me only 5-6 EUR. And that's 5-6 EUR for a vase or for free pour from a bottle, not per glass, even they call it "on the glass". (Just avoid the big restaurant with best view? But I saw them have the menus with price list, too.)

- Young ladies travelling alone: Many tips tell you that to not let people know you're on your own. But I believe it's more about "don't let people that your gut telling you not aright know" more than people in common. The funny thing is... I've met so many ladies travelling alone from cities to cites. Seems that girls love travelling alone more than guys? If you're a lady and travelling alone to Italy, you may get even better service. Trust me. I'm on the good end of it to tell the stories. ;) I was invited to the kitchen to meet with the chiefs, I was treated with very good price, I was helped with my huge suitcases, I was given special tips on the food by waiters/host across Italy... and so many more. And I met many wonderful people when the restaurant asked us to share a table or two....

- Italian people have very nice accent with English. Many people are very friendly, even in industry cities like Milan. I had a good "talk" with a lady on the street, she used Italiano (of course) and I used English (what else?). Guys in Italy talk too fast (and much), English or else.

- Tell them that you're alone but you had a strong recommendation to have their special disk (usual for 2) and the waiter may check for you if they can have a solo portion or not. (My host in Verona told me that in Italy, just make a face --crying-- and they will try to help you.) I guess what we need to do is to ask them nicely. They will try their best if they can help with.

- You see that hole in the wall, just next door to the restaurant with lots of tourists? Just try it. They may have the best food of your life with a very good price. I had a tasting plate with many type of cheese, pate, cold cut, etc. and superb pasta in holes like that.

- Don't think you can see all and everything in 1 trip to Italy. You will have to return. So... a coin in the Trevi is a must.

- Gelato is 3 EUR for medium. It means 3 scoops (and Italian scoop, I mean). So it's huge. If you're not a big eater, one small/medium at a time is enough. Don't try the big ones.

- AC Milan is not just a football club. It's the symbol of class, wealthy, and... class :D It shows ;)

- Popes once had wife and kids.

- Basilicas and churches in Italy are magnificent. Don't try very hard with your photos. You cannot capture the power and that magnificence.

- Italy is an open-air museum itself. And in most of museum, you're not allowed to take pictures. But, you can take as many picture as you want in Vatican Museum except in the Sistine chapel.

- You have to take cooking class in Italy. Hands down!

And there are more to come. I will be back :)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin